Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Passion and the Cross

 


The Passion and the Cross – by Ron Rolheiser

I came across the writings of Father Ron Rolheiser quite by accident.  I found one of his articles online, and I was so moved that I did a Google search and found he had his own website, and on that website, about 40 years’ worth of “weekly devotionals”.  Since there were 40 years’ worth, I decided to read one per day make them part of my daily devotions. 

I should point out that I’m really not a “devotional” type person.  Often when I try for regular devotion time, I confess that most authors that I read don’t really move me that much.   Sure, reading a familiar passage with some key insights is worthwhile, but I was never really blown away by any particular author, nor was the material such that it radically transformed my thinking and I rarely would come away with any ‘ah-ha’s.

Ron Rolheiser, for me anyway, is a wonderful exception.  This book, from what I can tell, is basically some of his cherry-picked devotions that he has written over the years that focus on Jesus’ last few days on Earth, including his crucifixion and resurrection.  A cynic may argue “why should one buy a book when the author has all of this material on his website for free?”  A fair argument, I guess, but having the above-mentioned devotions all in one compact book is rewarding if one wants to focus on the primary part of the life of Christ; specifically his death and resurrection.

Although this book isn’t told in “devotional” format, one could easily incorporate this as a daily devotional if they wish.  Each chapter is broken into several sub-sections, and each sub-section is about 3 pages in length.  So nice digestible chunks for one’s spiritual nourishment.  I’m not sure if it was the author’s intention, but there are a total of 40 of these sub-sections throughout the entire book, which means this book WOULD be perfect to read during, say, the 40 day season of Lent.

I must reemphasize, though, that what makes this book so special are the unique viewpoints that Father Ron shows us concerning this period of the life of Jesus.  I was able to view things much more clearly and come up with entirely new perspectives.   I mean, yes, Christians know and believe that Jesus “died for their sins”, but what does that really mean?  Why did the death have to happen the way that it did?  What elements of scripture can help elaborate on things relative to our own lives as believers?  He also expounds on things such as: What does it mean when we say the ‘Passion’ of Jesus?  What is the relevance of Jesus praying in a garden?  Why do we read so much about the ‘blood’ of Christ, and why is the blood such a vital element of Communion? What is the relevance of the “veil” that we read in our Bible that hides the “holy of holys”? What did Jesus really mean when he cried out “Forgive them Father. For they know not what they do?”  And most importantly (for me anyway), why is it so important that when Christians are attacked by anger, hatred, and bitterness that they should respond with warmth, compassion, peace, and forgiveness?

And there’s more. Oh so much more. This author’s writing is such a treasure trove of peace and comfort.  I never once felt as though I was being judged nor being felt guilty because I wasn’t holy enough.  I never once heard the author bemoan the fact of how horrible the world is and the problems of the world are “everyone’s fault who aren’t Christians.”  This book was loving, kind, compassionate, and a joy to read.  I highly recommend this book.  If you want a taste of the style of the author, go to ronrolheiser.com, and you can view his many articles that he has written in the last forty or so years.  I wish I would have discovered this author much earlier in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment