Monday, August 29, 2016

The Jericho Sanction



The Jericho Sanction – by Oliver North and Joe Musser

Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North’s second novel.  He’s actually a very good author – not some celebrity shlock cashing in on a famous name.  I read his first book many years ago (this one was released 13 years prior to when I read it.  He’s written several more since) and I was pleasantly surprised by that effort as well.

This is one of those “continuing character” books.  The hero in this novel is present in most, if not all, of North’s efforts.  Not surprisingly, with a guy like Oliver North writing a book, you can kind of guess the subject matter:  Military, espionage, terrorists, the Middle East, preventing nuclear war, etc. etc. etc.
Although this is a good book, I confess that I found nothing particularly dynamic or fresh in it.  Maybe I’ve read too many Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn novels.  This one doesn’t deviate from the formula.  You pretty much know everything that’s going to happen.  In addition to the above mentioned cliché subject matters, the plot really isn’t that original either.  We have Russians illegally selling Iraq nukes, clandestine operatives in the Middle East (with not one, but two aliases), a kidnapping, a clueless inept American congress and President, and therefore, a rogue agent who doesn’t “follow the rules”.

Oliver North tends to get a tad too preachy in his books.  It’s not that I have a problem with his beliefs or sentiments – I actually find such attitudes refreshing, but North lays it on his readers rather thick.  There are quite a few diversions within the book where one character will ask another something like “So tell me about your belief in Jesus again…”.  And North will spend the next few pages conducting a mini sermon.  I found it a tad too pedantic and can’t help feeling that an unconverted reader won’t be swayed, yet only highly annoyed.  He did this in his first book as well.  Well, it is better than reading about grouchy secularists.  Anyway….  On a related note, I didn’t find the book “overly political” either.  And for that, I’m very grateful.


I imagine one would really like this book if you’re somewhat new to the genre, or if you really like modern military stories.  It’s very good, just not very original.

No comments:

Post a Comment